Monday, November 21, 2011

Inheritance without Hardship?

"You should not be like cowering, fearful slaves.  You should behave instead like God's very own children, adopted into his family - calling Him, 'Father, Dear Father'.  For His Holy Spirit speaks to us deep in our hearts and tells us that we are God's children.  And since we are His children, we will share His treasures - for everything God gives to His Son, Christ, is ours too.  But if we are to share in His glory, we must also share in His suffering." -Romans 8:15-17 (emphasis added)


I recently heard a sermon that struck me deeply.  It was based on the truth that we as believers want to live victoriously and abundantly, but we don't want to do what it takes to do so - we don't want to die to ourselves.  As humans, its the exact opposite of our natural desire.  We want our lives to go how we plan.  We "want God's inheritance without the hardship"*.  I hold up my end of the bargain (living right) and God holds up His.  But in order to truly share in the glory of Christ's resurrection (which should be the goal of every believer), its often God's desire that we share in Jesus' suffering and death.  In order to be resurrected in victory, we must die. 

It made me think about how I so longed to be a Godly wife and mother when I was younger.  I prayed and dreamed of the opportunity to create a peaceful, Christ-centered home with my husband one day.  When I got married on February 9, 2008, I believed my dreams were coming true.  God had provided a Godly man to lead that peaceful home I pictured for myself.  All was going according to plan.  I used to feel such a profound sense of pride in seeing the man I married study God's Word and teach others.  So, when Josh started developing the not-so-subtle symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, I couldn't accept it.  This was not the plan!  No, he was supposed to be strong!  A stalwart example to all families of what a Christian man should be!  He can't be down and out, he has lives to impact…or should I say, impress?

Well, whether I liked it or not, God's plan was to pull my husband over to the "side of the road" and work on Him in deeper ways than I imagined.  Secret, silent, obscure, and confusing ways that baffled me and many others.  Most days, he can barely gather his thoughts, let alone study God's Word for an hour or lead a small group.  What was God doing?  Why had he abandoned us?  Why was He taking my dream away?  Did I do something wrong?  Do I not have enough faith?  All the typical human questions we ask when God allows suffering.  But now I see that God wanted us to "die".

Ok, this may be confusing, but I apply it to my situation like this…I used to dream of a warm, fuzzy, Christ-filled home, right?  Yes.  I wanted to be a Godly woman/wife who could be strong and courageous in the face of suffering, right?  Absolutely.  So, why did I not expect that I would need to go through suffering to find out that I can be strong in suffering?  Why did I want Christ's joy to fill my home without facing the suffering He went through as well?  Did I just want the gold medal without actually having to run the marathon?  Sad to say, that's exacted what I wanted.

What if God allows suffering to give us a taste of our blessed Savior's suffering on the cross?  What if He is teaching us to die, so that we can live?  What if it is the greatest blessing to us, His children, to walk through suffering, but instead we see it as the greatest betrayal? You see, the Bible says that it absolutely is the greatest blessing. 

Your pain may be different than mine.  You may be thinking that yours is much more dramatic and overwhelming.  You may be thinking that your pain is not nearly as bad.  But if there is anything I've learned through this, it is that PAIN IS PAIN.  This life is short for all of us and full of trouble.  We must lean on one another in humility.  My pain is no more and no less significant than yours.  Our trials are tailor-made for us to conform us to the image of Christ.  They are designed to teach us, shape us, and make us shine for Christ in this dark world.

Embrace with joy the suffering you are walking through.  And if the season you are walking through is light and happy, then embrace that with joy as well.  Do not fear the future!  Our God will hold you every step of the way.  He is faithful to His children…always.


*Quote taken from page 21 of "Hope" by Nancy Guthrie

2 comments:

  1. Wisdom coupled with humility, which is always a sign of godly wisdom. Like the early disciples who rejoiced that they were counted worthy to suffer for His sake -- they didn't file lawsuits, or come back to the group complaining and worrying about the next attack.
    Suffering and strength go hand in hand. Keep up the good blogs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks PD! Keep up the good comments!

    ReplyDelete